The Secretary of State’s Office is responsible for business filings for business corporations, nonprofit corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships. Sole proprietorships and general partnerships do not file with the Secretary of State’s Office.
Please us the online Document Request here
to request images of filings and Certificates of Existence or Certificates of Authority.
For questions, please call the Business Filings Division at (803) 734-2158.
Please note, the Secretary of State’s Office does not have the names or addresses of a company’s officers or directors. For this information, please contact the Department of Revenue at (803) 896-1164.
General Filing Instructions
- The quickest method is to file online. Please see our online services.
- You may also type or legibly print in dark ink the applicable business filings form in its entirety. All forms are fillable, therefore you may type directly onto the pdf form or you may download and print the form. All of the Secretary of State’s forms are found on the Forms and Fees page.
- If filing on paper, please submit the proper form in duplicate with the required fee. The Secretary of State’s Office will not return a copy of the filing to you if the form is not submitted in duplicate.
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- Make sure the proper individuals have signed the documents.
For additional information on Business Filings, please review the Business Filings FAQs
To read the statutes governing the different business entities, please follow the links in the guide below:
LLC Annual Reports are no longer required to be filed with the Secretary of State
The South Carolina General Assembly passed H4650 which repealed the statutes requiring LLC Annual Reports in South Carolina. The bill also amended the Certificate of Existence statute in that annual reports are no longer necessary in order for a Certificate of Existence/Good Standing to be issued.