Employment agencies, or private personnel placement services, include any person who charges fees, whether direct or indirect, all or any part of which may be consideration of the person providing information on employment opportunities, procuring or attempting to procure employment for applicants seeking employment, or for procuring or attempting to procure employees for employers seeking applicants.
To make an initial application for a license, employment agencies must:
- Submit an Initial Application for License to Operate an Employment Agency that has been notarized.
- Submit verification of an announcement of public notice in the newspaper with the largest circulation in the county. The notice must contain the same information required in the application.
- Submit certification by a licensed member of the South Carolina Bar verifying that all requirements of the laws of this state have been met.
- Provide verification of a $3,000 surety bond.
- Enclose the one-time application fee of $200 and licensing fee of $100.
To renew a license, employment agencies must:
- Submit an Employment Agency License Renewal.
- Enclose the licensing fee of $100.
- Licenses must be renewed every two years. Renewal Applications are due by December 31st.
SC Secretary of State's Office
1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 525
Columbia, SC 29201
To read the statute governing Employment Agencies (private personnel placement services), please follow the link below: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t41c025.phpTo obtain the forms for Employment Agencies, follow the link below: